This DIY Christmas card holder made from a hula hoop is a cute and inexpensive way to display Christmas cards or show off photos at a party.
Our DIY Christmas card holder began as a photo display at our son’s first birthday party. Now, we love hanging it up around the holidays to display Christmas cards from family and friends.
DIY Christmas Card Holder
- Hula Hoop
- Black Matte Spray Paint
- 2.5″ Wide Black and Red Buffalo Check Ribbon
- Assorted Size Natural Color Tree Bark Wood Slices
- Faux Greenery
- Hot Glue Gun & Hot Glue Sticks
FYI: This post contains a few affiliate links to products we used to make this project. Gray House Studio does receive commissions for sales from these links but at no extra cost to you. We appreciate you supporting this site. Read our privacy and disclosure policy. You can also easily shop our recommended products here.
1. We bought a cheap grocery store hula hoop and covered it with a black matte spray paint. We let it dry for the amount suggested on the product.
2. Next, we cut five pieces of the 2.5″ ribbon. The middle piece is 32.5″ long, the two pieces of ribbon moving outward are 31.5″ long and the outer two pieces are 28″ long. These didn’t have to be precise because we were just going to fold them over around the hula hoop.
3. Next, we started with the middle piece of ribbon and wrapped it around the hula hoop.
4. We put a couple dots of hot glue between the ribbon and the back of the hula hoop to hold the ribbon in place. We pulled the ribbon so it was tight but not too tight (otherwise it would warp the hula hoop) and wrapped and glued the top piece of the ribbon to the hula hoop.
5. We repeated this step until all five pieces of ribbon were attached to the hula hoop. Each piece of ribbon is spaced 3″ apart.
We finalized our DIY Christmas card holder with faux greenery and assorted wood slices.
We originally created this piece to display photos of our son’s first year at his lumberjack themed 1st birthday party. We ordered the square prints from Parabo Press. The cool thing is you can get a free set of 4″ Square Prints, which is what we did, you just have to pay for shipping. Our handmade inexpensive hula hoop photo display was the hit of the party.
We loved the photo holder so much that we saved it to use as a DIY Christmas card holder!
Whether you display photos year around or cards at Christmas, this inexpensive project can be easily customized to fit your decor style.